Jimmy Choo is best known for his high-end hand-made exclusive shoes. It is the accessory of choice for cutting edge fashionistas and celebrities alike and creates a look instantaneously recognized as “Jimmy Choo”. While even the most dedicated fashionista fans may think they know every detail about the designer, here are some facts you may or may not have known about the shoemaker:
Jimmy Choo at the 2011 Chelsea Flower Show – VIP Day at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea London, England – May 23, 2011
1. When you buy a pair of Jimmy Choo’s at Saks or Neiman Marcus, they may be beautiful and bear the “Jimmy Choo” label, but they are not made by Choo himself. If you want Jimmy Choo’s that actually have anything to do with him, you’ll have to purchase them from the Jimmy Choo Couture Collection which are only available by appointment at his store in London.
2. Jimmy Choo is known for putting his blood, sweat and tears into his shoes. One time when preparing for a Katharine Hamnett fashion show, Jimmy Choo worked non-stop for three days and nights, just sewing beads on shoes! If that’s not what you call a hard-worker than I don’t know what is!
3. It’s been said that Manolo Blahnik’s association with “Sex and the City” took him to the next level and that every time Carrie Bradshaw said “Manolo” more and more of his shoes were sold around the globe. Even Madonna referred to Manolo Blahnik shoes as being “better than sex,” but when it came to her wedding day, it was a pair of Jimm Choo’s that she wore.
4. There are many celebrities that wear Jimmy Choo shoes but one of his most famous clients was Princess Diana. He designed many pairs for her over the years–so many that he can’t remember the actual number. The day after Princess Diana died, he was scheduled to deliver a pair of just-completed gold pumps to her. Those gold pumps now sit in Choo’s closet in memory of his dear friend.
5. He made his first shoe when he was 11 years old, and just may be one of the most notable students of Cordwainers Technical College in Hackney from which he graduated in 1983.