Showing some midriff is commonplace these days. The cropped top trend now makes it easier for us ladies to go shorter on our top’s hemline without looking too conspicuous. But when is baring your midriff too much? How do you draw the line between classy and tacky? We have some tips and outfit inspirations to make sure that you do it right!
1. A demure midi skirt will inject the necessary class to your cropped top outfit
Jessica Alba in Manhattan to promote her new film, ‘Sin City: A Dame to Kill For’, is carrying a Christian Louboutin handbag as she departs her SoHo hotel in New York on August 5, 2014
The trick there is in making sure that you balance out the show of flesh. So rather than a skimpy and body-hugging bottom, try a voluminous midi skirt just like Jessica Alba’s. This trend combined with the high-waisted midi skirt trend would work seamlessly. Cap that off with a chic pair of sandals and you are great to go anywhere!
2. Go for a boxy cropped top and wear it with skinny jeans
Jessica Lowndes and other celebrities visits Hollywood Today Live in Los Angeles, California on August 18, 2014
We can’t stress out balance enough. So if you are wearing something fitted for your bottom like a pair of skinny jeans, you might want to partner that with a boxy cropped top for a more modern silhouette. Also take a cue from Jessica Lowndes and go for a monochromatic color palette.
3. If you are wearing a skimpy cropped top that is almost a bralet, a cute outerwear will solve the excessive exposure of skin
Chloe Grace Moretz at the 2014 Teen Choice Awards held at The Shrine Auditorium – Arrivals in Los Angeles on August 10, 2014
Plus points if the said outerwear matches with your bottom just like Chloe Grace Moretz’ statement jacket and shorts. Do not overdo the accessories and just let the jacket and shorts pop out.
4. A cropped t-shirt looks great with almost everything but you might want to partner it with a tube midi skirt
Jourdan Dunn at the French Connection #NeverMIssATrick launch party at the Oxford Street Store in London on July 23, 2014
The cropped t-shirt is casual through and through, especially if it has a quirky slogan just like Jourdan Dunn’s “Cara Made Me Do It!” shirt here. Add a feminine flair to it with a chic printed tube midi skirt and a pair of pumps. This outfit can even go beyond your 9-5 schedule!
5. Wear it with a pair of culottes or wide-legged pants
Kristen Stewart and other celebrities arriving at the Chanel Catwalk Show in France on July 8, 2014
Kristen Stewart looked like she stepped out of the Aladdin movie in her all-white ensemble. The wide-legged trousers definitely resembled what they wore in the Disney movie. But the trousers actually resemble skirts too so they should work well if you want an alternative solution to number 1.
These outfit inspirations will ensure that your midriff-baring will not attract the wrong kind of attention. If you need to update your cropped top collection, here are some great finds:
1. T by Alexander Wang Raw Edge Leather Crop Top, $650.00
2. Sea Collared Crop Top, $265.00
3. Karla Spetic Roadside Flower Crop Top, $635.00
4. JOA Plaid Tank, $33.60
5. By Malene Birger Cirilla Floral Top, $345.00
6. JOA Ruffled Blouse, $65.00
7. Carolina K Crochet Huichol Top, $34.50
8. Ladision Sorry I Was on Vacation Tee, $19.60
Credit: Alberto Reyes/WENN/FayesVision/Nikki Nelson/Brian To/Chris. K