The secret to putting together an outfit with straight-leg jeans is to choose the perfect shoes. If you’re taller, you’ll have the luxury of choosing any style of shoe.
If you’re on the shorter side, you might prefer to swap your sneakers for a mule or stiletto to give you the illusion of extra height. Almost no shoes are off-limits with straight-leg jeans, giving you the ultimate versatility to have fun with your shoe closet.
Unless you’re buying a cropped style, the hem of your straight-leg jeans will likely skim across the floor. Adding mules will give you a little extra height and keep your hem off the ground. The following alternatives are from Matches Fashion.
1. Gianvito Rossi Jamaica 70 crochet-mesh leather mules, $645 / 2. Neous Jumel cutout leather mules, $535 / 3. Wandler Isa square-toe crystal-embellished satin mules, $530/ 4. Roger Vivier Broche Vivier crystal-buckle satin mules, $1,395
Mules add a touch of effortless chic to any outfit and are perfect if you don’t want to commit to a higher heel. Mule sandals help give your jeans a summer-appropriate look and are the perfect alternative to wearing flip flops.
2. Ankle boots
Ankle boots are one of the most popular ways of accessorizing your straight-leg jeans. The hem of these jeans makes them perfect for wearing with classic Chelsea boots or combat boots – whether you prefer a flat sole or a block heel.
1. Moncler Patty suede ankle boots, $695 at Mytheresa / 2. Malone Souliers Kris buckled suede and leather boots, $895 at Matches Fashion / 3. Acne Studios Jensen leather ankle boots, $491 at Mytheresa / 4. By Far heeled ankle boots, $591 at Farfetch
These shoes can help turn your jeans into a transitional piece for your close and to give you the flexibility to wear them all year long.
When you’re styling your jeans with ankle boots, you want to find a pair that lets you show off a little skin between the jean hem and boot shaft. That flash of skin breaks up the two pieces and helps balance your proportions.
Straight-leg jeans are one of the most comfortable styles on the market, making them a perfect match for sneakers.
1. Salvatore Ferragamo Senise embossed leather sneakers, $622 at Mytheresa / 2. Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Madison, $59.95 at Zappos / 3. Puma Mayze platform sneakers, $120 at Farfetch / 4. Isabel Marant Benkeen high-top canvas trainers, $270 at Matches Fashion
If you’re on the shorter side, look out for sneakers that have a platform to help give you a little extra height.
4. Open-Toe Heels
If you’re on the shorter side, you want to find a way to elongate your legs. Open-toe heels, especially in a nude shade, will help slim your appearance and give you a few extra inches of height.
1. Sophia Webster Chiara butterfly-appliqué sandals, $750 at Farfetch / 2. Prada Square-toe patent-leather slingback sandals, $698 at Matches Fashion / 3. Gianvito Rossi Sydney 70 leather platform sandals, $895 at Matches Fashion / 4. Gianvito Rossi Eclypse 105 patent-leather sandals, $845 at Mytheresa
These shoes can help you bring your straight-leg jeans from day to night – and a chance to show off a fresh pedicure.
Straight-leg jeans with an ankle cut give you a chance to experiment with your heels. The Sophia Webster ‘Chiara’ style shows how you can take advantage of the length and add a quirky twist to your outfit.
Sneakers aren’t your only flat shoe option for straight-leg jeans. Loafers are another signature style and can help add texture to your look while also elevating them.
1. Ganni Snake-effect leather slingback loafers, $425 at Mytheresa / 2. Bougeotte flat tweed loafers, $860 at Farfetch / 3. Scarosso Sofia loafers, $244 at Farfetch / 4. Gianvito Rossi Crystal-buckle leather loafers, $1,100 at Matches Fashion
Loafers help elongate your leg by showing off more of your foot than sneakers do. They’re another transitional staple that will help you get the most out of your straight-leg jeans.